Conduct Research at Ascension Wisconsin
Researcher Support Services
Teams of research professionals are available to assist Researchers through the required steps, reviews and approvals as part of starting a study, as well as ongoing support to ensure the safe, ethical and compliant conduct of research.
Submit a CDA for an Industry Sponsored study.
Include Sponsor info and material.
Submit a proposal for an Investigator Initiated project. Complete and submit this form.
Request assistance in obtaining extramural or grant funding. Complete and submit this form.
QI Self-Certification Tool. Use this online tool if you think your project is Quality Improvement (QI) or Program Evaluation and not Human Subject Research.
Where to Start
How you start a research project depends on many factors, including the kind of research, project sponsor (Industry Sponsor, external, investigator initiated) and the funding or support (Industry, Grant, Department, etc.).
Review the steps below or refer to the AWRI Study Start-up Grid Reference Guide.
A new research project may stem from an original investigator idea, or through an external or Industry Sponsor.
At this step:
- Principal Investigator (PI) develops an understanding of the project, goals and required resources
- PI gathers information about study start-up the approval process and initial study materials
Institutional Approvals and Feasibilty ReviewAWRI staff facilitate required authorizations to ensure research meets standards and aligns with Ascensions values and priorities. This includes institutional administrative approval from the department/area leader. These reviews ensure that all research at Ascension Wisconsin has appropriate resources and support, and aligns with institutional goals and strategy.
At this step:
- Principal Investigator (PI) gets the information to the AWRI team members for assistance, depending on the type of study (see the AWRI Study Start-up Grid Quick Reference Guide)
- AWRI staff access local feasibilty to conduct and support the study and facilitate the required institutional approvals.
- PI meets with the AWRI staff and other stakeholders to conduct a feasibilty meeting.
FundingSponsored Programs staff work with researchers to identify funding opportunities and manage all awards and grants for research. Funding opportunities may include internal foundation support as well as extramural funding and grants.
The Clinical Research team may also provide support in identifying Industry funded trials.
At this step:
- Principal Investigator (PI) works with AWRI team members to identify, depending on the type of funding (see the AWRI Study Start-up Grid Quick Reference Guide)
- PI writes the grant and works with Sponsored Programs to prepare the submission, as well as required reporting of funded grants.
AWRI does not have dedicated staff to support protocol development and design. However, AWRI staff can help facilitate support through existing services such as experienced research mentors, collaborations with local universities, and Ascension departments like Data Analytics.
Contracts and Agreements
Contract specialists work with researchers, sponsors, collaborators and Ascension's legal team to negotiate and finalize all research agreements.
Ethical and Regulatory Reviews
Required Training and Disclosures
All researchers at Ascension Wisconsin are required to complete human subject training. There may be additional training requirements depending on regulations that govern the type of research or funding. In addition, any research staff working on funded research must complete a financial Conflict of Interest disclosure.
- PI reviews the Research Education page for training requirements and instructions.
- PI ensures that all research staff complete the requirements.
All research conducted at Ascension Wisconsin requires review by the AWRI IRB prior to begining. This includes research where the AWRI IRB is providing IRB oversight, as well as research where Ascension is not engaged or another IRB will serve as the IRB or record.
Safety and Ancillary Reviews
Some studies may require additional review, such as Radiation Safety, Institutional Bio-safety or institutional scientific review. These reviews are typically facilitated through the IRB office and/or Clinical Research team.
Post Approval Conduct of Research
Clinical Trials Support Staff
Finance and Billing Compliance
Sponsored Programs team members assist in the ongoing financial management and reporting, subject payments, and billing compliance activities after a study begins.
Post Approval Monitoring and Research Education