Financial Conflict of Interest (fCOI) in Research
Ascension Wisconsin is committed to ensuring the objectivity of human subject research, and to avoid actual or perceived conflicts of interest in such research by identifying, reporting, evaluating and managing conflicts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who needs to complete a disclosure?• All study personnel listed on a funded research project
• All study personnel listed on a project where they have a financial interest, regardless of funding
When does a disclosure need to be completed?• Before being involved in any funded research;
• Annually not later than July 1;
• Before applying for PHS research funding; and
• Within 30 days of a new or updated Significant Financial Interest, when listed on PHS funded research.
• If there is a management plan in place for a previously reported fCOI, researchers may be asked to complete a disclosure more frequently, for example every 6 months.
How do you complete a fCOI disclosure?
Who needs to complete COI training?• All study personnel listed on a project, regardless of funding, complete a COI course as part of the basic CITI Program training module
• All study personnel listed on a PHS funded project, must take the additional complete Conflicts of Interest Module in CITI
How do you compete COI training?
All Conflict of Interest training is complete through the online CITI Program. Training needs to be completed at least every 3 years.
Who reviews fCOI and management plans?
The Ascension Wisconsin IRB serves as the review committee for research related fCOI. The IRB, in conjunction with the Institution’s Conflict of Interest Official (in Corporate Responsibility), review and approve disclosures and management plans. Research Integrity and Protection staff oversee the process and facilitate the reviews.